It all sounds obvious but it’s worth getting a list together of tasks you need to complete each month to keep your website up-to-date and running efficiently. Here’s a list of Top 10 Basic Maintenance and SEO tasks to get you started…
- Monthly back-up – Make an offline back-up of files on server
- Search Engine monitoring – Check search results in Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.
- Google Analytics – Monitor results looking for performance above and below average.
- Webmaster Tools – Submit and check your sitemap. Check and set the crawl rate, and view statistics of Googlebot access to your website.
- Google Adwords monitoring – Check your PPC results and see where your money is going and if you are reaching your desired positions and clickthrough rates. Build on your successful campaigns and adjust those with low conversions to improve them.
- Competitor Monitoring – Monitor how your competitors are doing and check at least the top three for changes in positions and keywords competed on.
- Check sitemaps – Make sure you sitemap is fully up-to-date adding any new pages to it.
- Content development – Check your content, make any updates and look for new ideas to develop your pages.
- Off-site SEO – Carry out off-site SEO such as link-building, directory submission and monitor new places to submit links.
- Monthly Reporting – Create a report with headline figures such as “Top 10 most popular pages”, “Top 25 most popular keywords” which you can be refer to in the future.
Good luck and may your rankings rise!